In the early days after birth, mothers may experience engorgement or swollen breasts, a temporary condition that can make breastfeeding difficult and uncomfortable. A mother can also find that her skin has stretched so much that her nipples, which would normally be protruding, may be flat.
Flat nipples may make it difficult for your baby to breastfeed easily. If your baby is unable to get a flat nipple positioned correctly in his mouth he may not receive as much breastmilk, despite his best efforts.
In these circumstances it is important for you to be able to gently draw out your nipple so that your baby can properly grasp the nipple and areola in order to establish a good latch. For women who experience flat nipples, Lansinoh has developed the Latch Assist, a simple tool to temporarily draw out the nipple to enable a good latch – the first step to successful breastfeeding.
- Simple, self controlled and effective
- Easy to use – can be used quickly and easily with one hand
- Includes small case for hygiene and portability
Instructions for use:
- Before use, wash Latch Assist™ in hot soapy water, rinse and air dry
- With your baby in position for breastfeeding, gently squeeze bulb and place the shield over and around your nipple
- Lightly press the shield down against the skin to ensure an airtight seal
- Slowly release the bulb for the desired pressure
- Repeat gently until your nipple is extended and your baby can easily latch on to the breast
- Discard any milk that may collect in the bulb
- After use wash again, rinse and air dry